The Washington Research Library Consortium was founded in 1987 as a non-profit corporation under the provisions of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The WRLC is operated exclusively for the benefit of other non-profit institutions of higher learning by promoting the development of a cooperative network among libraries in the Washington metropolitan area and by providing services to enhance library and information resources.
Board of Directors
- The corporate officer who has responsibility for the library or other University official designated by that corporate officer.
- The chief financial officer, chief operating officer or other University official designated by the chief financial officer or chief operating officer for those universities that are Sustaining Members.
- One non-voting Director, who is a Library Director of a participating institution and elected to be the chair of the Library Directors Council.
- An Executive Committee which may exercise the full authority of the Board between meetings of the Board.
- A Finance Committee to (1) review the budget prior to it being submitted to the Participants and the Board of Directors for their review, (2) review the budgetary expenditures from time to time during the year, and (3) review the results of the audit reports.
- A Library Directors Council to provide counsel on matters of programs, operations, policy, budgets, standards, rules, committee appointments, and other matters of import to the work of the WRLC and the individual libraries.
- A Council of Presidents to provide counsel on matters of strategic planning and other matters of import to the work of the WRLC and the Participants. The members of the committee shall be the Presidents of the participating universities.
Library Directors Council
- Prepares and proposes to the Library Directors Council annually an updated strategic plan and a list of major initiatives to be pursued.
- Establishes task forces as appropriate to accomplish assignments.
- Makes recommendations to the Library Directors Council on policy, practice, programs, and services.
- Directs and coordinates the work of the standing committees, including evaluation of initiatives and projects suggested by the standing committees.
- Monitors and evaluates progress on approved initiatives and projects.
- Identifies new areas for collaboration.
- Facilitates communications at all levels amongst and between the standing committees, library staff, the Steering Committee and the Library Directors Council